Cochran Middle School
The academic program of the Cochran Middle School offers a rigorous core curriculum and diverse co-curricular courses that provide comprehensive preparation for high school. A challenging program of studies and personalized attention allows each student the opportunity to reach his or her intellectual potential.
With guidance from experienced teachers, Cochran Middle School students:
- build vocabulary and critical thinking skills by reading carefully and participating in analytical discussions;
- reason mathematically in order to build the conceptual understanding and problem solving abilities necessary for strategic thinking and for higher mathematics;
- communicate thoughts, ideas, and opinions proficiently through creative, analytical, and critical writing and speaking tasks;
- develop increased awareness of and sensitivity to our global society by exploring events, cultures, and languages from around the world;
- investigate and apply scientific concepts and processes with attention to the role of science in the world around us and as a vehicle to improve the quality of life for all people;
- develop technology proficiencies while exploring specialized areas of existing and emerging technologies in order to be productive in a digital world;
- learn and apply collaborative skills as leaders and followers in a variety of formal and informal situations.
PROGRAM OF STUDIES
Grade 6: Literature 6; Language Arts 6; Mathematics 6; Integrated Science 6; American History-Civil War to Present; Arts (Technology, Art, Music, and Theatre); and Physical Education/Health. Co-curricular options: Athletics, Chorus, Orchestra, Theatre.
Grade 7: English 7; Mathematics 7 or Pre-Algebra 7; Integrated Science 7; Civics and Current Events; World Language Exploration (semester class in French and Spanish); Arts (Technology, Art, Music, and Theatre); and Physical Education/Health. Co-curricular options: Athletics, Chorus, Orchestra, Theatre.
Grade 8: English 8; Pre-Algebra 8, Algebra I, or Algebra I Honors; Integrated Science 8; World Geography and Current Events; French 1 or Spanish 1; Arts
Link to Middle School homework website: Middle School Homework